Thursday, August 16, 2012

Worship Vinyl

I decided to do this piece because it seems that the deeper and deeper I get into the extreme music scene the more I tend to see vinyl records having a HUGE sales presence and being a common topic of conversation.

Since the early 20th century the physical distribution of music has changed so much, technology comes and goes. In a lot of ways it seems like this technology has stood the test of time (regardless of it's extreme niche market). Vinyl records may not be as popular as other forms of media but they have a steady market, sales in CD's decline every year as do DVD's.

Speaking of CD's what do you do with them when you are finished putting them on your iPod or phone? I personally end up throwing it away or it just sits in a drawer somewhere. But my vinyl records have a specific shelf in the living room adjacent from the record player and will not be thrown out, nor will they collect dust.

That being said, I do not worship vinyl but the extreme music community seems to, so this is a bit of a ode to that. Vinyl is the sun and the market is steadily orbiting it without any feigning interest.

This was my initial sketch...



No comments: