Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Inked Life - Aaliyah Source Mag

I was commissioned to do a piece that resembled a magazine cover with the subject matter being Aaliyah de los Muertas. This was an interesting project involving some photo manipulation and good ol' line drawing. Also, since they wanted it to look like a magazine it took a bit for me to convince them that a rectangle would not necessarily look nice on a shirt. Once that was settled it was down to aesthetics.

We started with the full face paint and decided that the half face was the way to go considering we really wanted people to recognize that it was Aaliyah. I wanted it to feel a bit more like an illustration so I did a lot of freehand manipulation.

All in all I think it came out pretty nice and I can't wait until they print it on shirts.

No comments: